To begin with the Japanese eggplant recipes we need to know the difference between regular eggplant and japanese eggplants. Japanese eggplant offers a sweeter and tender taste than normal eggplant. Japanese eggplants are thin, tall and cylindrical in shape. It is also a good source of dietary fibres, vitamin B and potassium. Indian eggplants are usually fatter in the base and look like a large pear without the middle bump.
Japanese Eggplant Recipes That Make Your Taste Wonder
What's in this article...
Japanese eggplant recipes are obviously more healthy and delicious. Also, it is not very difficult to make. Prepare to embark on a culinary journey to celebrate the essence of the four best Japanese eggplant recipes.
1. Grilled Eggplant
To begin with, indulge in a simplistic Japanese eggplant recipe with exquisite flavours and captivating aromas of the far east with a twist of the middle east while serving.
- Chilli flakes
- Butter or vegetable oil
- Parsley or Coriander
- Rinse the eggplants with water.
- Then cut those into slices.
- Season the slices with Oil or butter, salt, pepper, and chilli flakes.
- Put the seasoned eggplant slices in a grill.
- Turn the heat up and flip it on the other side once one side is evidently a little charred.
- Once the eggplant is soft with a crispy charred skin, season it with parsley or coriander. Serve it with Tahini sauce for the best taste.
2. Eggplant with Thai Basil Chicken
A delightful fusion Japanese eggplant recipe is the enchanting marriage of eggplant and tender chicken with Thai Basil as pastor.
- Boneless and skinless Chicken breasts
- Peeled garlic cloves
- Red chilli pepper
- Thai Basil Leaves
- Vegetable oil
- Soy sauce
- Oyster Sauce
- Fish Sauce
- Sugar Black Pepper
- Steamed Jasmine Rice
- Dice the chicken breasts into thinly sliced fillets.
- Mince the garlic.
- Cut the eggplants into bite size pieces.
- Chop the peppers and Thai basils roughly and separately.
- In a small bowl combine the sauces together with a little black pepper.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat. Now, add the minced garlic and the chilli peppers and stir fry those for a minute.
- Then add the chicken slices in it and stir fry it until it turns whitish. This should take approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
- For the next step add the eggplants. Stir fry all these items together for 7 more minutes.
- Pour the sauce mixture over all the ingredients and allow the ingredients to soak the sauces and then sprinkle some salt and sugar as per taste. Then after switching the heat off add the thai basil leaves.
- Finally, serve it on a scoop of rice to be enjoyed.
3. Japanese eggplant Shiitake mushroom and Bok Choy Stir fry
This Japanese cuisine is renowned for its delicate flavours. When it comes to a healthy choice of food this Japanese eggplant recipe is a very good preparation. Let’s delve into the concept of stir fry, it is an art that originated from China and then have been adopted and refined by Japanese chefs.
- 2 Japanese eggplants, cut into diagonal slices
- 200 grms sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 small bunch of Bok choy
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a large frying pan, preferably a wok over high heat.
- Mince the garlic and add it to the hot oil and stir fry for a few seconds until fragrant.
- Add the sliced Japanese eggplant and stir it for 2-3 more minutes until they start to soften.
- Throw in the sliced shiitake mushrooms and stir fry for 2 more minutes.
- Then throw in the Bok Choy Leaves.
- In a small bowl whisk the sauces together with sesame oil.
- Pour it over the vegetables.
- Season your food according to your taste.
- Continue frying for 2-3 more minutes and serve it hot in a large white bowl.
This Japanese eggplant recipe goes well with steamed rice or Steamed noodles.
4. Tandoori Eggplant
For all the spice lovers out there, this Japanese eggplant recipe is for you. Bursting with flavours and cooked to perfection a japanese vegetable’s marriage with indian spices.
- 2 large japanese eggplants
- 1 cup plain yoghourt
- 2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons of tandoori masala
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro
- Cooking oil for brushing
- Wash the eggplants and dice it into 6 pieces.
- Make shallow slits all over the eggplants and sprinkle salt over it. Then leave it for 10 minutes, it helps to remove the extra moisture.
- In a bowl whisk the yoghurt along with red chilli, tandoori masala, cumin powder, coriander powder, lemon juice and salt.
- Gently rub the marinade all over the eggplants and put it in the freezer for a few hours.
- Take the grill out and set it up with charcoal or you can also use an oven.
- Set the eggplants preferably on a grill but if not a baking tray and brush it with cooking oil before putting it in.
- Cook the eggplants until they are tender and soft and a little charred.
- Serve it hot with pudina chutney.
All of the dishes above are the start dishes which are easy to prepare and it can make the nutritional value of japanese eggplants more enjoyable. Japanese Eggplant recipes can be an amazing starter in a vegan event or it can also be enjoyed with meat. The texture of eggplant is so nice and soft that it makes vegetarian dishes enjoyable and enhances the taste of meat if prepped in asian style.